Friday, December 9, 2011

course inspection

Two weekends ago, I left Johnson County Fairgrounds in good spirits knowing things clicked, even though, my results wouldn't indicate it. Weather became the obstacle and if you were able to keep your bike upright in the slippy mud then you were golden! My handling skills were fabulous along w/legs to match. However, lady luck wasn't on my side as I found a circular steel drainage grate hidden in a deep latte-colored puddle as we rolled thru a cattle pen. Immediately, when I doinked my front wheel off it the white Stan's sealant began to spit out of the tire. Thinking it might clot, I continued to go but upon taking a 180-degree turn to move on under the flyover, my rim bottomed out. DNF on Saturday. I was told by countless spectators and racers alike, the "W" surely was mine to be lost and I knew it too!! At 10:20 again the next morning, temperature dropped, and the rain stopped. I didn't have the same snap as the previous outing which showed during warm-up hot laps. Regardless, there was so much rage burning inside me from misfortune. Call-ups must have been of a random method because I had to start second row this time. With heavy fencing enclosing the paved straight, it was nearly impossible to get the holeshot prior to the first muddy corner. I have no fear of taking risks that impact solely myself but when the consequences ruin the efforts of a fellow competitor, that is too selfish for me. We quickly caught the wave of women that went out a minute earlier and the chaos was intense!!! The soil absorbed standing water from yesterday but it was still greasy and peanut butter in nature. Every left and right I hollered, the person would take the line rather than free it for me. Crashing twice into marking tape/stakes and a handful of almosts put the white flag in the air until the bell lap. Seeing the crushed look on Jen's face after she heard the loud speaker announce I abandoned the race on Saturday as I walked over had me refuse to repeat that image. By this point, I think the Gobble Gallop was even surfacing as the cranks were getting hard to spin. My poor attitude during the middle portion of the race, blinded me of what actually remained. Passing a couple more gave me 5th on the ride which is probably more than I deserved. Iowa granted me the same placement two consecutive weekends but allowed for many lessons learned. This was a difficult week ending w/brutal sickness on the drive north.

Otherwise, I've recovered since and have been stockpiling time on the bike out in the cold. Also, holiday eating is in full swing already which has treated me well following illness. I don't allow myself to behave like a teenage girl when it comes to food, especially, now that the seasons are changing and putting additional stress on our bodies. Besides, I like to indulge in Christmas festivities!!!!

Tomorrow, Chris Rubesch is giving me an opportunity to carpool w/him down to Madison for Badger Cross. He'll be the second ultrarunner that has shown interest in knowing what the cyclocross scene encapsulates. We'll be departing later this afternoon and staying w/his sister. Mary, another friend of his will be joining us too. Saturday, I'm going to head over to the venue and get familiar w/every turn, off-camber, run-up, etc. Watching how some of the racers negotiate the course will also be on the agenda. Sunday, the singlespeed race kicks off the morning @ 9 AM. I've done my homework in the mud...lets see whether I pass the test on snow & ice...

No comments: