Monday, September 26, 2011

felt like a BMXer

Yep, the MN singlespeed championship was hosted by the folks in Saint Cloud this past Saturday morning next to the prison. I haven't done a XC race on the mountain bike in years and this was one of many reasons that got me to head down there. First off, the focus was on the riders doing the 1x1 category! Secondly, I heard fun things about this course and it sounded like forced practice of my weakness. Lastly, I'd rather have this be my opener to racing bikes than have it take place on the cyclocross bike. Plus, it gave me an opportunity to dawn my new skinsuit and make certain that I was comfortable in it(best thing ever).

Weather and trail conditions were perfect. Bright sun rays, temps in the 50's, dry twisty singletrack w/bits of nordic thrown in as connectors. Oh, one final detail...FLAT AS A PANCAKE!!! Straddling my top tube as I wait in staging, a quick observation was made to all the stout gearing that surrounded me...GULP! I left the same ratio on that had been used during 24-hour events which was far < 2:1 @ 34x20. There was a huge prologue on the nordic system to string us out before entering the singletrack for two complete loops. Oh well, I lost minutes during this piece but was content to just enjoy the ride and build on my handling skills. Safely getting thru lap #1 gave me a chance to refresh my memory of carrying momentum thru corners and was eager to chase now. Catching a few guys on lap #2 allowed me the sneak into the top 10. Loads of high cadence pedaling as a result of being under-geared yielded a solid lung-burner(1 hour 15 minutes worth). Removing excess carbon from the motor was accomplished.

No comments: