Tuesday, August 23, 2011

more tentin'

I spent that past four days up the beautiful north shore in Grand Marais. My mission, put in some quality time w/Jen's family, eat local organic fare in seasonal places that we often miss, & enjoy the always exciting challenges on sections of the SHT!!!

The first happens around the campfire, #2 was accomplished in places like World's Best Donuts, Angry Trout Cafe, & Java Moose. Lastly, the Superior Hiking Trail crosses the Gunflint Trail after only a switchback but these areas use the state snomo trail which if you ask me, sucks, and not what I was looking for! However, in the vicinity, one can reach the Pincushion Singletrack as the SHT follows nordic ski trail AND THIS WAS AN UNEXPECTED PLEASURE!!!!! Built by Velo Marais club members, signage was great and the lines of chosen tread were creative w/nice flow. I took a spur in order to tag the summit of pincushion mountain just to say I did. A must see location is the Devil Track River Gorge and there is a parking lot on County Road 58. I got to practice a bit of fell running while on this piece and left starving for more.......

No comments: