Monday, October 17, 2011

to be hunted by the DBD

Half of the Death Before Dishonor clan took on the challenge of the Wild Duluth 50K this past Saturday. What a glorious day it was! Last month, I noticed a couple awesome guys in Big Buff & Jeremy Kershaw on the list of registrants and just couldn't pass up in joining 'em. A few weeks back, my confidence was slightly below where I wanted it to be in regards to aerobic base. So, I put myself thru a personal boot camp and passed w/flying colors which gives me certainty that I'm going to be able to last until 'cross nationals in early January. Never exceeding 3 hours on a single run(despite pacing Tony @ Sawtooth 100) nor 5 hours on a bike effort this whole year had me questioning my quality versus quantity approach this season.

Shivering on the start line @ Oldenburg Point in Jay Cooke S.P. signaled perfect weather lies ahead. Many leaves blanketed the Superior Hiking Trail which played as the course and is a vicious duo under such circumstances. You'd be a fool to underestimate the gravel grinding prowess of my two friends even when they take on an endurance endeavor on foot(instead of bike). If you do then you'll probably wind up on the flip-side of the coin from victory. Nestling in behind them on the front row kept me patient and away from my usual pin it hard attitude in the early going of ultras. Light conversation evolved over the first sector but when arriving at the Grand Portage T.H. it became immediately obvious how the tactics would ensue. I prefer to take a long time @ aid stations in order to attack the course in between while my comrades displayed amazing proficiency by passing thru quickly. I'd arrive sometimes minutes before yet we'd leave together or they'd press on as I stayed back grazing on solid foods. Coming off Ely's Peak is where I employed a technique I've read about that involves leading w/a hip(carioca) to save the quads on hard descents. Especially, since the ground changed from dirt to rock. Doing it earlier in the more dense forest was high risk of rolling an ankle but I knew it would be crucial in the longevity of shredding muscle fibers. Big Buff made the decisive move of the day by crushing the downhill from Magney/Snively to the base of Spirit Mountain. I wanted this day to be a solid workout but minimizing the damage too. However, I couldn't resist chasing and it was on!!! I smacked my toes on hidden rocks and roots but caught back up on the ascent to the summit of where a ridiculous 138 steps await us(Andy Holak, director counted them). Passing the zoo and I35 lead to the final brutal climb which is Keene Creek bring runners to the Piedmont traverse and lastly, the plummet off Enger Tower to finish in Bafront Park at the entrance. I'd place 9th overall and stopped the clock in 5:19 w/my chasers showing up a brief time later. Creative ceramic spoon & bowl awards filled w/soup made for a great endnote.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great effort Dave. and yes, I was chasing as hard as I could!